The NFL announced Tuesday that it has decided to discontinue blind dates for 2018.
The league says that the rule will not be in place for the 2018 season because of a number of factors.
Among those factors is that the NFL will no longer allow blind dating at any time in 2018, and will instead work to make the experience as easy as possible for players and coaches.
“In light of recent research, the league determined that it would be best to not make this change at this time,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.
“The NFL is working with the Department of Labor, the American Civil Liberties Union, and others to identify additional ways to help ensure blind dates remain as safe and convenient as possible.”
The NFL said that it plans to continue to educate players and employees about the benefits of blind dates, and to make sure that the league’s guidelines are being followed.
The move comes as the NFL and its union continue to battle over the safety of players who are forced to wear helmets while participating in games, a trend that is now at a crossroads.
Last year, the NFL suspended the careers of two players who wore helmets at games.
In January, the union reached a $2 billion settlement with the league, but the settlement was criticized for not providing financial compensation to the players.
The union also sought to force the league to pay for the medical care of players.
Goodell said Tuesday that the move was in the best interest of players and teams.
“We have been working on a number the last couple of months, to make this an easier transition for our players and our teams, and we are pleased to be able to announce today that we have made the right decision to keep blind dates a part of the league experience for the foreseeable future,” Goodell said.